My sister, Lindsay-the-floral-designer has taught me many floral-related things over the years, and so I've decided to take some of her sage wisdom and do a post on the many reasons why carnations (yes carnations!) make fabulous wedding flowers. Like many of you, I used to have negative "bad prom corsage" connotations associated with carnations, however, my smart sis taught me that carnations may actually be the perfect wedding flower. And here's why...
- They're inexpensive. Peonies typically run about $6/ stem, roses run about $3/stem, and carnations are about $1/stem. That's adds up to be a huge difference.
- They're non-toxic. Meaning if your 3 year old flowergirl accidentally stops for a snack while dropping flowers down the aisle, it's perfectly fine!
- They come in a ton of natural colors. As in over 30.
- They have texture. They have a great ruffle-y texture similar to peonies, lisianthus, or roses.
- They smell nice. Because it's important to smell good on your wedding day.
- They are always in season. You don't have to worry about them being next to impossible to get and ridiculously expensive if your getting married in say, January.
- They take up a lot of space because they're a decent size. Which means not only are they cheap, but you also use less of them.
- They last forever. Ok, not forever but definitely through the ceremony, the reception, and beyond!
- They can easily be mixed with other flowers. Which means you can still have peonies or calla lilies or hydrangeas but you will save money without sacrificing the design look.
- They have universal appeal. They pretty much work for whatever type of wedding your having- elegant or casual, indoor or outdoor because of their versatility.
Take a look below at some gorgeous carnation arrangements and see that I'm not lying!