Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Beauty Trend: Greige is the New Black Satin

So basically anytime I read about a beauty trend more than a few times within a month period I can pretty much count on it being huge,  especially when it comes to nail polish.  Remember when we all had a major goth moment in fall 2006 with Chanel's "Black Satin" and OPI's "Lincoln Park After Dark"?  Well I have a feeling this is going to be as big as that.  So this past week I was leafing through the May issues of my favorite fashion glossies when I noticed one word that kept popping up over and over- greige.  Greige? Huh?  According to W, "the term “greige” has been used by decorators for years", but for most of us, it's probably pretty unfamiliar.  It's actually just simple math- gray+beige=greige.  Sounds kind of blah, but it's actually a super chic neutral and it's showing up everywhere you look. It is a perfect bridal shade because it's neutral like a french manicure but way more unexpected.  Here are some of the many greige goodies out there...


Chanel Particulière
OPI "You Don't Know Jacques"


OPI by Sephora in "Metro Chic"

Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure in "Commander in Chic"




Above two photos: "greige" nails at Marc Jacob's Fall RTW show

Greige eyeshadow also surfaced quite a bit on the runways.  The key with shadow this neutral is to find one that shimmers a little, in order to add some depth.  Otherwise you will end up looking dead, which is probably not the look your going for on your wedding day.  The two runway examples are extreme versions of the trend, but I've included a photo of my eyes sporting a more wearable greige option. 

Greige lids and pale lips at Rodarte
Greige lids and rosy cheeks at Michael Kors




I created this look by sweeping Urban Decay's "Mushroom" eye shadow all over my lid up to just above the crease with a large, fluffy shadow brush.  Then I put a more concentrated dose underneath my crease using a small shadow brush.  I then highlighted my brow bone with the fluffy brush using Urban Decay shadow in Sellout, a pale champagne color.  I added Urban Decay's "Sphinx", a pale pink shade, to the inner corners.  I finished the look with black Revlon Colorstay eyeliner on the top and bottom lids and L'Oreal Telescopic Carbon Black mascara.  The key with this look was adding light to the corners and brow in order to keep from looking too "dead". 

Urban Decay's Book of Shadows II featuring Sellout, Mushroom, and Sphinx

{Chanel image via Chanel}
{OPI image via OPI}
{Sephora by OPI image via Sephora}
{Sally Hansen image via Sally Hansen}
{Runway images via Style.com}
{Urban Decay image via Urban Decay}

Love it or hate it? Post your reactions in the comments section below...

 -Alessandra

1 comment:

Hello lovely readers! I am dying to know what you all think of my posts, so by all means do tell! Please keep in mind, though, I wont approve any comments that are really mean-spirited or clearly self-promoting. {♥ A}

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails