Saturday, May 15, 2010

Beauty Trend: Dreaming of the beach...

There's something about heading into summer that makes me want to surround myself with gorgeous shades of aqua and turquoise and green.  Probably because when I think of summertime I think of the beach, even though the closest beaches to where I live are the sandy strips of Chicago's Lake Michigan coastline.  True, they are better than no beaches at all, but they are hardly a substitute for hot, colorful beaches of far away places like Hawaii or Thailand or the Bahamas.  Since beachy inspired shades are popping up everywhere, I've decided to do a feature on this fun beauty trend.  Some may not be comfortable going this bright on their wedding day, but definitely consider wearing these chic shades at your bridal shower or bachelorette party.   Or, better yet, wear on your tropical honeymoon, where you can mimic the stunning color palette first hand.  Whether you wear it on your nails or your lids or your lips, this flattering color palette is sure to turn heads!
Benefit's "California Kissin'" Lipgloss is a subtle shade of turquoise that shows up almost clear when applied.  However, the blue-ish shade causes your teeth to look whiter and it's minty flavor gives you fresh breath. Genius!
L'Oreal HIP eyeshadow duo in "Showy" creates a bold look for a bold bride.

 OPI's nail polish in "Absolutely Alice" would be a fun, sparley shade for your toes on you big day.  Go ahead and check "something blue" off you list...

Too Faced's Starry Eyed glitter liner in "Drunk Dial" is the perfect option for your honeymoon.  Swipe on this liner, add some black mascara, and a little bronzer and you're good to go!

Make Up Forever's Aqua Cream eyeshadow in "Turquoise" packs a powerful punch and can be worn as shadow or applied with a liner brush for a quieter look.


OPI for Sephora's nail laquer shade in "Teal We Meet Again" is perfect for your bachelorette party, when you want all eyes on you!

See the below look featuring Sephora Collection Colorful Duo Eyeshadow in "Tropical Blue"
Bring out your inner goddess with Maybelline New York's new Color Plush silk eyeshadow quad in "sapphire siren". 


 
Sephora's "turquoise liner" look featuring Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes in 7L and Tarte Emphaseyes Clay Pot Liner with Double Ended Brush in Indigo on upper and lower lids.


Sephora's "icy blues" look featuring Sephora Collection Colorful Duo Eyeshadow in "Tropical Blue" on lids.



Tokidoki for Sephora's pop art look features Cromatico Eyeshadow in "Bruttino"


I decided to create a few looks featuring turquoise eye color also. 



This look was created using my trusty Urban Decay Book of Shadows II palette.  First I applied Urban Decay Primer Potion in "Sin" on my lids up just past the crease to keep the shadow from creasing later on.  Then I dusted Urban Decay shadow in "Baked" on my upper lids up to the crease.   Then I lined my upper and lower lids with black Revlon Colorstay liner.  I dampened a shadow sponge and lined my lower lid with Urban Decay shadow in "Jinx".  I finished the look with black Maybelline XXL Extensions mascara on the top and bottom lashes. Pairing a bold shade with a neutral is a great way for those with a fear of brights to ease into this trend.



This ethereal look was created using my trusty Urban Decay Ammo Shadow palette.  I swept UD's "Shattered" shadow on my lids with a fluffy shadow brush up just past the crease.  Then I wet the tip of a shadow sponge and thickly lined the top and bottom lids with UD's "Mowie Wowie" shadow, extending the line past the outer corner for a Cleopatra-like look.  I finished the look with black Maybelline XXL Lash Extensions mascara on the top lashes only.


For this look I lined the top and bottom lids with black Revlon Colorstay eyeliner.  Then I wet the top of a shadow sponge and traced over the line on the bottom lid with Urban Decay's "Flipside" shadow.  I repeated this on the top lid using a a damp bent liner brush.  First lining the eye with black liner and then using damp utensils for the shadow allows you to use any of your shadows as liners. 

{Images of Benefit, Too Faced, Make Up Forever, OPI for Sephora, Sephora Collection, and the three Sephora looks via Sephora}
{Image of L'Oreal HIP via L'Oreal
{Image of OPI via OPI}
{Image of Maybelline via Maybelline New York}

What do you think of these looks?? Put your comments in the section below!!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello lovely readers! I am dying to know what you all think of my posts, so by all means do tell! Please keep in mind, though, I wont approve any comments that are really mean-spirited or clearly self-promoting. {♥ A}

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails